Need help viewing or reading our website.
Simply click "Enable
link below

and a reader/viewer assistant will help you.

Enable Recite

Trosi ein gwefan yn Gymraeg (Translate into Welsh)

Tel: 01905 427815

Opening Hours:
Monday - Thursday 9:00 - 17:00
Friday 9:00-16:00
Weekends and Evenings by appiontment.

Book Online Now

Once booking process is completed we will confirm appointments within 1 working day. Online bookings are fully automated. We have appointments available within 2 working days.

Book your study needs assessment online now.

Get in touch

Tel: 01905 427 815
Submit an enquiry online through our webform.

Opening hours

Monday: 9:00 - 17:00
Tuesday: 9:00 - 17:00
Wednesday: 9:00 - 17:00
Thursday: 9:00 - 17:00
Friday: 9:00 - 17:00
Saturday: by appointment
: by appointment

Appointments Available within 2 DAYS.

Get an INSTANT appointment in 2 minutes booking online 24/7.

Face to Face, Remote Video & Phone Call Assessments are available at this time.

Supporting Students for over 7 years, Winner of the 2020 and 2021 SME Enterprise Awards.

Book an appointment online today, CLICK HERE to get started


- Telephone:01905 427815 (booking times 9am - 5pm Mon - Fri)

- Email:

About DSA's


What is the Disabled Students Allowance?

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) is a grant given to students to help with the extra costs they might face as a result of a disability, mental health condition, long-term illness or specific learning difficulties.

The support you receive through your grant is specific to you and is decided through a DSA study needs assessment.

The grant is not influenced by your income and does not ever need to be paid back.

What can DSA funding be used for?

DSA funding is used to provide specific support to students, generally in the four following areas:

Specialist equipment: This can include microphones, laptops, accessible software (voice recognition, mind mapping, screen reading) and specialist furniture. This includes repairs, insurance and an extended warranty.

Non-medical helpers: Interpreters, specialist note-takers, mentor support and assistive technology trainers.

General disability-related study support: Day-to-day costs of studying, incurred by your disability, such as extra printing, ink and braille paper.

Additional travel expenses: This is for disability-related costs separate from costs that apply to any student. An example would be using a taxi or private car to get to university if you are unable to use public transport due to your disability - DSA would cover the difference between public transport and private transport in this instance.

The specifics would be discussed with you.

How much funding is available?

2021-22 academic year: £25,000 a year
2022-23 academic year: £25,575 a year

Do I need to pay for any DSA support?

English students will be asked to contribute £200 towards equipment such as computers/laptops if you are recommended this in your assessment.

Funding assistance may be available through your university for this contribution.

Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish students will not be asked to pay this.
Students are also expected to pay for some portion of their travel expenses if they are granted funding in this area.

Who is eligible for DSA?

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) is available to students who have a disability that affects their ability to study.

You must be in higher education, ordinarily a resident in the UK, and taking a course that lasts more than a year.

What qualifies as a disability under DSA?

Mental-health conditions, such as anxiety or depression
Specific learning difficulties, such as dyslexia or dyspraxia
Developmental disorders, such as autism, ADHD/ADD
Progressive medical conditions such as Multiple Sclerosis Cancer or HIV
Sensory impairments that affect your ability to see or hear
Other conditions not specified may also be covered

What courses qualify for DSA support?

First degrees, such as a BA, BSc, or BEd
Postgraduate courses
Foundation Degrees
Certificates of Higher Education
Diplomas of Higher Education (DipHE)
Higher National Diplomas (HND)
Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE)
Initial Teacher Training

Distance learning and sandwich courses can also qualify. Check with your course provider.

Are part-time courses eligible for DSA?

Yes, but it depends on how much of your course is required to be completed in a year when compared to a full-time course.

This is course intensity and it must be 25% and above to access DSA.

If you are unsure, check with your university. More information is available on the governments student finance page.

How to access DSA?

If you have already applied for student finance, you can sign in to your account to begin a DSA application.
If you do not have a student finance account, you can apply through a DSA1 full form.

You should also provide either a report or letter from your doctor/consultant/psychologist, or fill in a Disability Evidence Form.

More information is available on our DSA application forms page,
and on the governments DSAeligibility page.

You will find get a confirmation on whether or not your application is successful within 6 weeks.
After you have been accepted for DSA, you will be asked to book a DSA needs assessment.

How do I book a DSA needs assessment?

DSA needs assessments can be booked through any accredited Study Needs Assessment Centre.

You can book a DSA needs assessment with us via:
Tel: 01905 427815

All assessments are currently remote, but face-to-face options are available on request.

What is a DSA needs assessment?

A DSA Study Needs Assessment is a one-to-one meeting between a student and an accredited accessor to establish the students’ needs, typically lasting 1.5 – 2 hours.

It is not a test, only a discussion of any difficulties you face and the support that can be put in place.

DSA support may include specialist or updated equipment, a non-medical helper, disability-related study support and additional travel expenses.

What happens in a DSA needs assessment?

In a DSA needs assessment the accessor will have a discussion with you about areas in which you need support, such as accessibility issues in attending and learning in lectures, travel, writing essays, sitting exams and revision.

Accessors work together with you to find the best solution for your specific needs and will suggest various types of support, but the ultimate choice of what support to accept is up to you.

How long does a DSA needs assessment take?

A DSA needs assessment will last 1.5-2 hours.

Do I need to pay for a DSA needs assessment?

No, the DSA needs assessment is free to the student. The assessment is covered through your Disabled Students’ Allowance.

How do I get my support after the DSA needs assessment?

Following your DSA needs assessment you will receive a DSA2 letter either through email or post, this contains contact details for your equipment provider and any non-medical helper support.

You must contact both to receive your equipment and schedule any support sessions.

This is up to you to arrange, but if you need any support or direction do not hesitate to contact us.